Scott's books

The Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Animal Farm
Slaughterhouse Five
Of Mice and Men
A Tale of Two Cities
The Count of Monte Cristo
Under the Tuscan Sun
The Da Vinci Code
The Bourne Identity
Kiss the Girls
Into the Wild
Into Thin Air
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Hobbit
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
1984
Angels and Demons


Scott Reighard's favorite books »
}

Monday, April 13, 2009

Christians Acting Like Christians

As we move forward in the 21st century I would like to make a few proposals to fellow Christians out there. Today is Easter. I know, what am I doing writing on Easter? Actually, I am inspired on Sundays to write. I have done some of my best writing on this day, odd, huh?

There is an argument going on in this country, is Christianity on the decline? Of course atheists trumpet this news, because as they say, misery loves company. Actually, I feel sorry for and pray for those who do not believe, or those who straddle the fence on belief, but I am not here to proselytize or condemn anyone, I am here to take a critical look at Christians.

We, Christians, believe the Bible is the word of God, and the gospels represent the teachings and account of Jesus’ life. We all pray for His return, but until He does there are some things we need to come together on. The left loves to paint us (with a broad brush I might add) as intolerant, narrow minded, unworldly, and other unkind words, and every bad act a Christian commits only reinforces their argument. I know that we are not perfect, and people are flawed to commit unfortunate acts, but the left and atheists don’t see it that way, they see us being hypocritical. They love to ridicule the “righteous” when they fall from grace. One good example is Governor Palin’s daughter. The left was all over them. “How dare those Christian zealots (my word for emphasis) from Alaska preach to us when they can’t even control their own house?” That is a good point because in part that is true.

What happened to the Palin’s is unfortunate, but it is reflective of the human condition, and of the foibles of an imperfect creature. The temptation of the flesh is a strong force and takes incredible strength and faith to fight. But if you look at where faith is the weakest you will find it in teenagers. This is the point where they question a lot: faith, parents, authority, etc. So is it a big surprise that many of them fall into the trappings of the flesh? But I digress.

Okay, here are my proposals for Christians. One, as we contemplate our place in the grand scheme of things I look to the Bible for instruction and guidance, and what I find is that Christ’s life was a simple life, so I ask Christians to return to instruction and guidance. If you are not reading the Bible enough, read it more, schedule it like you would a workout or a haircut. Read a chapter of Old Testament, then read a chapter of New Testament. Reading reinforces, asks for reflection, and therefore provides growth and understanding. You will feel better there’s no doubt.

Two, conserve. Oftentimes the right or conservatives, Christians, etc are not seen as having enough care for the planet because they believe that God will take care of it, and/or that we are just borrowing it anyway. Fiddle faddle, I believe God wants us to take care of His creation, as it states in Genesis, “This I have created for you.” Also, if you look at the simplification factor this conservation and caretaking is part of the overall picture. Here are a few links to check out: http://ktracy.com/?p=106, www.setamericafree.org/ht040305.pdf, and http://www.perc.org/articles/article767.php.
The left needs to understand and know that they do not have a corner on the environmental market. We can be a movement for environmentalism and conservation.

One way you can start is to begin recycling. All it takes is one month to get into the habit. All you need to do is start with one thing, say plastics. Set up three or four bins and toss in the bottles based on the number in the triangle at the bottom of the container. You can find out where the drop off points are, and simply do your part. I set up a bin in my classroom so the students can toss in their drink bottles, then I take the container to the environmental club. You could set up one at work if they don’t have one, or recommend one. You will feel better, trust me. From there you can branch out into other items like paper, glass, or whatever else they offer in your community. Also, cut down on your energy within the home, cut off unnecessary lights, etc. I don’t want to sound like I am preaching here, but it’s important to say these things. Like the Bible, these should be daily reminders.

Three, look at yourself before you judge others. Are you doing the right things? Are you saying the right things? It’s okay to sound off your politics, or whatever social criticisms you have, but let us conduct ourselves in a civil manner, it’s more effective. If we discuss rationally, channeling the teachings, much can be accomplished. Our first task is to take care of our own house.

In closing, simplify, be healthy by being active and eating right; embrace mind, body and soul. Feed the soul with scripture, feed the mind with education and positive thoughts, and feed the body with healthy nutrition, do not give in to indulgences. Love nature and feel His presence, and your disposition will improve dramatically. Again, if you are already doing these things, good for you, I am not trying to be pretentious or overly righteous here, I am a concerned Christian that has seen that part of the problem is how we act and conduct ourselves. A student once asked me, “How can you live a full and happy life by being a goody two shoe all the time?” I said, “With God in my life I already have a happy and full life. I enjoy the fruits of His blessings, and trust me I am having a great time.” Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment