Scott's books

The Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Animal Farm
Slaughterhouse Five
Of Mice and Men
A Tale of Two Cities
The Count of Monte Cristo
Under the Tuscan Sun
The Da Vinci Code
The Bourne Identity
Kiss the Girls
Into the Wild
Into Thin Air
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Hobbit
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
1984
Angels and Demons


Scott Reighard's favorite books »
}

Sunday, April 29, 2012

2012 NFL Mock Comparison...Me vs. Them

Perhaps it sounds a little self-serving and perhaps so, but the last time I interviewed for a job the principal wanted to see my resume. It was a record of responsibilities, accomplishments, goals, etc. Ergo, the reason for this article posting is to showcase that I, with hardy research, common sense, deductive reasoning and a host of other blessings, was able to put together a comprehensive NFL mock draft for Rounds One and Two.

In the beginning I was not looking to compete with anyone. I was merely putting together what I thought was a reasonable draft board. Of course I looked at many mock drafts, who doesn't, but I saw many mocks that just looked to be a mish-mosh of the top 50 players and that was it. Or, I noticed that some who attempted to mock only understood the teams from within the division their team dwells within. As for me, I was looking at the Vikings, my team. We had an abysmal year; one to forget for sure, and I mocked the Vikings all seven rounds, but my point here is, I wanted to challenge myself and here were the final results.

As I mentioned in my FB page, I awarded each candidate 1 point for a direct player hit and .5 for a position hit, but it had to be the exact position. It's not as if I gave credit to someone who had a defensive end (DE) as their choice, but the team chose a defensive tackle (DT).

The challengers were as follows:

Mike Mayock, NFL Network, who has a sturdy reputation in terms of evaluating talent, etc.
Charles Davis, NFL Network, a well respected colleague of Mayock's and former player.
Mel Kiper, JR, a mainstay within the ESPN monopoly.
Todd McShay, another ESPN spokesperson who came on to the scene more as an antagonist to Kiper than anything else.
Peter King of Sports Illustrated, a very well respected sports journalist. I give Peter great credit because he covers most sports; whereas the names mentioned above cover football only.
Matt Miller, a featured columnist and top gun for Bleacher Report. Matt also covers a variety of sports, but he knows his football.
Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly, a very well respected arm of the NFL journalism spectrum.
WalterFootball.com, a compilation site that is a tremendous source for research and the home to much of my information.

Last note before I get to this. I consulted a variety of websites for my research. NFL.com, CBSSports.com, ESPN.com, Walterfootball.com, Draftek.com, Footballsfuture.com, and newnfldraft.com

Okay, to the scoring, here are the results for Round One

Mike Mayock: Mike had 5 direct player hits and 10 position hits for a total of 10 points.

Charles Davis:
Charles had 6 direct hits and 6 position hits for a total of 9 points.

Mel Kiper, Jr: Mel had 8 direct hits and 8 position hits for a total of 12 points.

Todd McShay: McShay had 6 direct hits and 7 position hits for a total of 9.5 points.

Peter King
: Mr. King had 6 direct player hits and 7 position hits for a total of 9.5 points.

Matt Miller:
Matt had 6 direct hits and 7 position hits for a total of 9.5 points.

Nolan Nawrocki: Nolan had 5 direct player hits and 8 position hits for a total of 9 points.

Walterfootball.com: They had 6 direct player hits and 7 position hits for a total of 9.5 points.

Me: Scott had 7 direct hits and 9 position hits for a total of 11.5 points.

Four of my direct hits were what most analysts had, so it was almost a given that each person would have those, but it was beyond those obvious picks where things got a little dicey. I am proud to call these as direct player hits.

Andrew Luck, Robert Girffin III, Trent Richardson, Matt Kalil, Fletcher Cox (Eagles), Dre Kirkpatrick (Bengals),
and David Wilson (Giants). I am probably most proud of the last one because of all the numerous mocks I saw, there was only one other who had the Giants taking a RB.

I hit the following teams for position, not necessarily exact player. Jacksonville, Kansas City, Cincinnati's second of their first round pick, Cleveland's second of their first round. I had them drafting Tannehill, who really should have dropped there, but instead the Dolphins drafted Tannehill and the Browns drafted Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State.

I also hit on Denver with a DT, Green Bay, Baltimore, and one of the Patriots picks.

Finally, I was stubborn about the Miami pick. I was in denial that Tannehill would go that high, but it will be interesting to see how the kid works out for them. I am rooting for him.

So, Bottom Line, with a little research, common sense, and reasonable thinking, you might surprise yourself with what you can and/or are capable of doing. I appreciate you getting to this point, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment